I do my most productive work in the morning. This is due in part to my love for craft coffee (or caffeine buzz, if I'm being transparent.) But I'm also leveraging another compound naturally found in green tea.
Either way, I'm essentially leveraging a natural nootropic to help me crush my to-do list and build companies. And another hack I've been using — supplementing my morning coffee with L-Theanine, a natural amino acid found in green tea. L-Theanine is known to give one a "calm focus" as compared to a "jittery buzz" from caffeine.
When paired together in a 2 to 1 ratio, the effects of caffeine + L-Theanine are wondrous. In my experience, supplementing my morning coffee with 200mg of L-Theanine does several things.
- Gives me more of a "balanced" focus rather than a "jittery buzz" from coffee by itself
- Seems to prolong the effects of caffeine over a longer period of time. Rather than getting the initial spike in energy from drinking a cup of coffee, I seem to get a linear growth in my energy levels.
- This "level headed growth" in energy leads me to drinking less coffee in the morning
I love the effects of the 2 to 1 ratio (200mg to 100mg caffeine) so much that I find it hard to drink coffee anymore if I don't have L-Theanine. The effects of caffeine alone are too jittery for me.
If you've ever tried Yerba Mate, it's a similar effect. I absolutely love the effects of Yerba Mate — an even flow of prolonged alertness. But no jittery spike & crash that normally comes along with coffee.
I'd drink Yerba Mate every morning, but the only issue for me is that I actually genuinely LOVE the taste of coffee. (The main reason why I'm investing in Jayson's coffee company, The Perk.)
Given the fact I love the taste of coffee, I'm left with two options.
- I can continue to drink coffee by itself because I enjoy it
- I can supplement with L-Theanine to get similar effects of Yerba Mate
My friend Jorden, founder of Ergon Capital, introduced me to this concept in June of 2020. And I haven't looked back since.
If you're a coffee lover, supplementing with L-Theanine is a way to eliminate the upfront jittery buzz and rather, carry out the effects of caffeine over a longer period of time.
I like this brand of L-Theanine because they're non-GMO & have zero added fillers. Plus, they're already dosed in 200mg doses and a typical cup of coffee has give or take 100mg so I'm good to go for the 2/1 ratio.